Friday, September 25, 2009

A new full homeschooling week

 How good and pleasant it is
when brothers live together in unity!
 It is like precious oil poured on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron's beard,
down upon the collar of his robes.
 It is as if the dew of Hermon
were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the LORD bestows his blessing,
even life forevermore.

This is my favourite psalm. It gives me strengh in the hard homeschooling days, put a smile on my face. I know i probably take it too litterally, but reading the first two lines makes me think how good and how right it is for us homeschooling, living together, always together. Family as the foundation of the society should be the cradle of everything good, everything beautiful, so that once the kids grow older will bring these same feelings and way of acting and believing and behaving , outside in the greater world and make of it a better place. This last week has been a bit hard on the homeschooling front. I see now all the dameges done in few years of awful teachers. My kids have problems in almost all the subjects and one of them has some kind of problems writing. I think last year he has been treated so badly that he has lost almost all interest for the very concept of learning. My guess is that he prefers to be considered 'evil' then stupid. I'm trying my best to keep my nerves at bay, but since he can act really badly it happens that i 'lose it' and scream and put his stuff away telling him to go away. This is the hardest side of this new adventure. I'm praying i'll find a way to reach my precious child's heart, it's only so difficult for me to put aside the 'world' point of view about what our schooling should be or should not and just let my heart and soul lead our days.
Anyways the week in general has been good, i love the very idea of spending all my time everyday with my family. I love my full and filled days. I love the many many chances i have now to share all i love with my children. I'm so grateful for the chance i've been given. Yesterday we had science. So we went out in the garden and since the winter vegetables were ready to be repotted from the seebed into the bigger vases, we had a practical lesson, checking roots, the stage of development of the plant, the shape of the leaves ... so so beautiful !
Instead here is a pic of a cake Gaia baked on tuesday. I can't believe at 9 she can bake a cake complitely on her own, she take our family cook book, pick her favourite recipe, takes all the ingredients and weigh them, warm up the oven, everything. I only help her to put the tray in and out fearing she might burn her hands. When she baked this last cake she could even direct her brother Seba in helping her. I see it pays off to have always got the kids helping me with the cooking and baking isn't it ?



Then of course, being friday we had our special night. It was Seba's turn so he asked me for homemade pizza and organized a sort of self-service and he was the check-out boy giving ice cubes and candies. He decorated his table with the autumn stuff we have around and took also the toy cash desk they have to be more credible. How fun !








Well, it's time to get some mail out and other serious stuff, better to stop writing.
Have a blessed weekend everybody with your loved ones.
Flavia


No comments: